Breast milk is essential for a newborn baby. The baby gets all the nutrients required for the growth, from his/her mother. Do you want to increase the production of breast milk? If so, you have to be careful about the type of food you choose to eat during this period.
Only a healthy mother can keep her baby healthy. The different types of food you eat will have an effect on both the mother and the baby. There are some varieties of food which adversely affect the production of breast milk. Hence, you have to be aware of the different types of foods that would help in the production of breast milk.
Below mentioned are some of the foods which are widely recommended for all the mothers who wish to increase the milk production.
- Fenugreek Seeds – This is one of the best foods recommended by many doctors across the world. Fenugreek seeds are rich in proteins, vitamin C, and iron. These seeds can be consumed by either soaking it overnight in water or by adding it to your dishes. These seeds help to cure all the problems related to lactation.
- Barley – Barley is rich in beta-glucan, which helps in increasing the prolactin. The prolactin is also known as the breastfeeding hormone. Barley can be eaten by adding it to your main course meals. You can also mix the barley flakes with milk and have it every day.
- Fennel Seeds – Fennel seeds not only help in improving the milk production but also aids in enhancing the functions of the digestive system. It also prevents bloating. Fennel seed tea is also available in the market nowadays. You can also add these seeds to all your dishes.
- Cumin Seeds – Cumin seeds are ideal to improve the lactation and also immunity. This is also used to enhance the taste of many dishes. Women who consume these seeds will not have any problem while breastfeeding their babies.
- Unripe Papaya – This serves as a natural sedative and helps to relax your body and mind. Though it is not recommended for pregnant women, it improves the milk production, if consumed after the delivery. You can consume it easily by adding it to our salad.
- Garlic – The various compounds present in the garlic makes it an ideal food to increase the production of breast milk. It also helps to prevent the fatal disease like cancer. Garlic will also enhance the taste of the dishes.
- Water – As we all know, water is important to keep our body hydrated. Drinking water in adequate amounts will also help to replace the fluid lost during breastfeeding. Hence, your baby will not suffer any health effects because of the lack of breast milk. You can also try to increase the intake of juices to keep yourself hydrated.
- Carrot – Almost all the people across the globe use carrots in the form of dishes, soups, and salads. Did you know that the carrots can help in improving the production of milk? The vitamin A present in it also helps to enhance the quality of the milk.
- Brown Rice – Many studies show that brown rice is recommended for all the breastfeeding mothers. It gives them the sufficient energy and improves the lactation. Moreover, it helps to increase the appetite and hence you will be able to consume more nutritious food items which are essential to keep you and your baby healthy.
- Apricots – Apricots are rich in fiber, calcium, and other chemical compounds. Hence, they will help to ensure the proper functioning of all the hormones in your body. Apricots also help to boost the production of breast milk.
- Salmon – The omega-3 fatty acids present in the salmon is an important ingredient which is necessary to improve the milk production. It is also highly nutritious and thus, including it in your meal will prevent you from becoming nutritionally deficient.
- Basil Leaves – The antioxidants present in the basil leaves will relax your body and boost your breast milk supply to the baby. It will also help to enhance the immunity of your baby. You can consume it by adding these leaves your tea or boiling water.
Also read: 6 foods to eat after pregnancy
The aforementioned food items do not include the complete list of foods ideal for the breastfeeding women. If you are concerned about the health of your baby, it is always better to consult your doctor before consuming any type of food product. It is necessary to keep yourself healthy if you wish to give your baby a healthy life.