Saunf or fennel seed is a popular seed mainly used as a mouth refreshment. It makes you feel refreshed. A lot of pregnant women also consume fennel seeds to feel refreshed. Do you think it safe for you and your baby? There are so many seeds which you have to avoid during pregnancy. Is saunf one of them? In this article, we will tell you the side effects of saunf in pregnancy.
What Is Fennel Seed (Saunf)?
Fennel Seed or Saunf is a type of seed which belongs to the parsley family. It is found almost in all parts of the world. This seed is commonly used in India. It is considered as an excellent ayurvedic medicine for acidity. Let us take a look at the health effects of using saunf during pregnancy.
Is Fennel Seed (Saunf) Safe In Pregnancy? | Know It
Fennel seeds have both good effects as well as bad effects. Some of the research done on saunf proves that it is not good for pregnant women. To be on the safer side and to ensure that it does not cause any side effects to you or your unborn, it is better to avoid this herb. If not, it might harm your unborn. Certain studies show that consumption of fennel seed during pregnancy can also affect the weight of fetus. However, it is also a proven fact that saunf is the best remedy to get relief from the bloating problem which is very common during pregnancy.
Fennel Seeds Good Effects
- Consuming fennel tea in the morning will help to get rid of the fatigue which is very common during the early stages of pregnancy.
- Pregnant women who face issues such as loss of appetite should definitely consume fennel seeds. It will help you to eliminate this problem and consume all the nutrients necessary for you and the baby.
Fennel Seeds Bad Effects
- Excessive intake of saunf can cause harm to both you and your baby. Even some of the doctors do not encourage the use of saunf during pregnancy.
- The yet another problem of saunf consumption is that it might make your skin dry. If you wish to have a glowing skin, it is better not to consume fennel seeds in excess.
- If you take fennel seeds in excess, the chances of miscarriage will be more.
- Saunf might also cause excessive blood loss at the time of delivery.
Also read: Can I eat jaggery during pregnancy?
In short, it is better not to consume fennel seeds in excess during pregnancy. Every mother wishes to have a healthy and happy child. To ensure that both you and your child are completely safe and healthy, it is always better to avoid all the harmful food products. Though fennel seeds have good effects as well, you should not experiment with it during your pregnancy. You will get a lot of other alternate options to cure the problems such as bloating and loss appetite. You should try some other safer option to get rid of all your pregnancy-related problems. If not, both you and your baby might have to face serious repercussions.