Vomiting is one of the common signs in pregnancy. This troublesome phase shows up from the first month of pregnancy and can even last for around three months. Repeated cases of vomiting dehydrate your body and cause tiredness, and fatigued in a person. However, there are a few remedies to treat vomiting so that you feel better.
Home Remedies to treat Vomiting
Try these natural home remedies to treat vomiting completely with passing time.
Just the smell of lemon can bring down the sensations of vomiting. It has the ability to lessen nausea. All you need is to prepare lemonade at your home by mixing lemon juice, and honey to a glass of water.
Drink it in the morning, and also when you feel vomiting sensations. Alternatively, you can grate lemon, and keep it in your handkerchief and inhale it. Put a few drops of lemon essential oil on your handkerchief and inhale when you feel nausea.
Drink water when you get up in the morning. Drink water every hour to stay properly hydrated. It will lower your chances of nausea.
Get more Vitamin B6
Vitamin B6 fight off nausea. It is safe for the fetus. Talk to your doctor to find out what vitamin B6 supplements can you consume. Some of the natural sources of Vitamin B6 to include in your diet are bananas, avocados, fish, corn, nuts, and brown rice.
Ginger relieves you from vomiting by boosting digestion, and reduces excess production of stomach acids. You can include it in various forms, like ginger tea, ginger extract mixed with honey, or simply suck a piece of ginger when you feel vomiting.
Suck one teaspoon of powdered form of orange peel. Later drink freshly prepared orange juice. The citric smell of oranges relieves you from nausea.
This herb calms your stomach and provide relief from vomiting. Chew peppermint leaves, sprinkle 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil on your handkerchief, drink peppermint tea, or eat peppermint candy to get its benefits.
Drink cinnamon tea two times in a day to get relief from vomiting. Add a little honey to it to improve its taste.
Yogurt has plenty of probiotics that aids in digestion. Eating two bowls of Yogurt a day helps in reducing the signs of vomiting in pregnancy.
Tips to reduce/prevent episodes of vomiting
- Consume small snacks at regular period of time.
- Do not lie down right after you eat food.
- Take a few seconds to minutes to come out of the bed in the morning
- Avoid foods that can cause you vomit
- As the strong aroma of hot foods can increase the chances of vomiting, consume cold foods or foods served at normal, or cold temperature.
- Spicy, fatty, and fried, foods are hard to digest, and irritates the digestive system. This can cause digestion issues that includes vomiting.
- Sip fluids all the day to stay hydrated.
- Try to spend your time in locations that have good air ventilation.
- Take good rest throughout the day
- Wear an acupressure band on the wrist to get relief from morning sickness, and vomiting.
What Causes Vomiting During Pregnancy
Vomiting is caused due to combination of various types of physical changes that happens in a body during pregnancy. Some of the causes for it are:
- Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin
- Increase in the levels of Estrogen hormone
- Increased sense of odor
- A sensitive stomach
- Women who are pregnant with twins, have higher chances of experiencing vomiting.
- Women who are susceptible to motion sickness, also have a high chance of experiencing nausea in their pregnancy.
- If you have specific genes that are responsible to causing nausea in pregnancy.
- If you have got migraine headaches
Signs of Morning Sickness In Pregnancy
Where a few pregnant women come across the difficult symptoms of vomiting in the morning, a lot of pregnant women experience nausea all through the day. These are the common signs of vomiting:
- Increased production of saliva, change in taste, and sensitivity to smells.
- Hyperemesis gravidarum: It is caused when vomiting causes five percentage or more reduction in a pregnant woman. It can result in dehydration that would need hospitalization. It is a worse situation than normal morning sickness.
When should you visit a doctor?
If the symptoms begin to get worse, and when you experience any of the below signs, then you should see your doctor soon.
- You shed more than two pounds.
- You find blood while you vomit.
- You feel dizzy at the time of standing.
- You find dark colored urine, or an infrequent urination.
- You experience pain in abdomen, headache, fever, or development of swelling in your neck.
If you are experiencing normal episodes of morning sickness, then it is quite normal and natural phenomenon in pregnancy. There is nothing to worry about. However, if you feel tiredness, and irritation, then you should try the above remedies to get quick relief. If you find no relief with these remedies, then you must consult your doctor immediately.