Is it Healthy to Eat Momos during Pregnancy?
Pregnancy is one of the stages in life during which you should be very careful. Your lifestyle and eating habits will have direct effects on you and the fetus. A lot of people do not take proper care of their eating habits due to which they suffer many complications at the time of delivery.
Do you like momos? Are you planning to eat momos while you are pregnant? If so, you should definitely take a look at this article. In this article, we will help you understand the effects of eating momos during pregnancy.
Reasons to Avoid Momos During Pregnancy
Though many people prefer to eat momos during their pregnancy, it is not completely healthy for the mother or the baby. Please find below the reasons for which it is not considered as a healthy snack for pregnant women.
- Presence of preservatives and other chemicals – The dough which is used to make momos is usually treated with a lot of chemicals such as azodicarbonamide, chlorine, benzoyl peroxide, etc., to make it look fluffy and soft. These chemicals will have a direct effect on the pancreas and hence, might result in gestational diabetes. When the mother becomes diabetic, it will automatically affect the fetus too. The possibility of diabetes in children will also be more in such cases.
- Momos contain mono-sodium glutamate (MSG). This will lead to obesity. It is not good for the pregnant women to gain excess weight. Gaining weight during pregnancy will lead to many complications at the time of delivery. Nausea, palpitation, and sweating are also the common side effects of eating momos during pregnancy.
- Even if you are fond of spicy foods, you should not consume them in large quantities while you are pregnant. This is also one of the main reasons because of which it is recommended to avoid momos during pregnancy. Momos are usually spicy which may not be healthy for your baby.
- The vegetables used in momos are usually not very hygienic. It is necessary to avoid unwashed food items while you are pregnant. This is to prevent any infections or viral attacks. If you consume such unhygienic food items, it might affect the growth of your baby.
- Even if you are very particular about eating momos, you should never eat them from the roadside shops. This is because the meat fillings inside the momos available in those will be of poor quality. During pregnancy, you should never compromise on the quality of the food items. It might affect the growth and development of your baby.
Also read: Can I eat Naan during pregnancy?
In short, it is not very healthy to eat momos during pregnancy. On a broader perspective, you can also say that it is better to avoid all outside food items while you are pregnant. When you are carrying your baby, you should proper care of the food you consume. If you want your baby to be healthy, you should consume only healthy food items. Even if you crave the foods such as momos, please make sure that the ingredients used in them are completely healthy for your baby. If not, your cravings might hinder the development process of your baby.