A lot of pregnant women have apprehension about the safety of pedicure and manicure procedures during pregnancy. Both these processes not just keep your toes and nails clean, but also gives you a nice feeling. Though it looks quite safe to include them in your routine, it is important to learn about its impact before you get one done.
What are the anxieties related to these procedures?
One of the concerns that “would be moms” have is related to the safety of chemicals that are present in nail polish, nail paint remover, and other nail grooming products. This can be a problem if the products used by the salon are not properly sterilized. It may lead to contracting fungal, viral or bacterial infections to both baby and the mother. So, it is advised to check with the salon about the hygiene practices followed by them along with the cleanliness of the tools and products used.
Regarding chemicals, you need not worry as there are very small amounts of chemicals such as formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate and toluene present in the pedicure and manicure products. Also, very insignificant levels of these chemicals get absorbed through the nail bed that won’t cause any harmful impact on yours as well as your fetus’ health.
Another thing that you need to ensure that the place where you are performing the procedure should be properly ventilated. This is because the vapors produced during the application of chemical-based products can be unsafe or make you queasy. However, there is no evidence regarding the adverse effect of chemicals on the mom as well as her fetus.
One last thing that you need to ensure that the manicurist does not massage the region between your heel and anklebone. This is because rubbing or massaging this region can lead to contractions in pregnant ladies.
What are the advantages of these treatments in your pregnancy?
Both pedicure and manicure are safe to be performed during pregnancy. So, you need not stop performing this routine. Getting your toes and nails done is an ideal way to pamper your legs and hands. The benefits that these methods provide you are good for your pregnancy. These methods are known to release stress, soothe sore feet, enhance blood circulation and reduce swelling in a pregnant woman. A pedicure can do a magical job in the last trimester of pregnancy. Last, but not least, you look a lot prettier after getting them done.
Tips that ensures a safe pedicure and manicure service during pregnancy
Whether you are getting nail services done at salon or home, it is advised to follow precautions:
- Ensure that the place is well-ventilated as the smell of chemicals can cause you nausea and ruin your entire pampering session. Ventilation aids in letting out the chemical fumes present in the room at the time of performing the method. Choose a salon that has good air circulation.
- Avoid drinking and eating in the salon so that you don’t ingest any harmful chemicals by way of your fingers or nails.
- Learn about the equipment and products that a salon uses to perform the service. This is important as certain chemicals can harm your skin by coming in direct contact with it. Let the manicurist know about your pregnancy so that they will use only safe and non-toxic products.
- Go through the review of the salon by checking its reputation on the internet and asking neighbors and friends who regularly go to that salon. Learn about their safety standards, cleanliness, and quality of service.
- If possible, you may even get your pedicure-manicure kit. Though they are a bit expensive, but can greatly bring down possibilities of infection.
- It is advised to check the condition of your skin before getting these treatments done on you. If you find that your skin of hands and legs is broken, then you should avoid this service. This is important as there is a greater chance of the chemicals to penetrate the layers of wounded skin and cause infections to you and your baby.
- To avoid any adverse effect from these methods, it is a good idea to do it at home. You can easily get pedicure – manicure kit from a store along with the instructions to perform this procedure safely at home.
Also read: Air Travel During Pregnancy: Is it safe?
An occasional pedicure or manicure is not just harmless but also required. You will feel energetic and relaxed by pampering your body. So, go ahead and get them done while following all the above safety measures.