Are you an expectant mother? Are you confused about what to eat and what not eat during your pregnancy? It is, in fact, a problem faced by all the pregnant ladies. We come across a lot of advice from different people during this stage. Hence, it is only natural to get confused about the dos and don’ts.
Though it is good to receive advice on the different types of foods during pregnancy, not all of them can be believed. For instance, a lot of people suggest not to eat yogurt during pregnancy as it might harm both the baby and the mother. If you are a yogurt lover, you will definitely get disheartened with this news.
If you have ever received such an advice, then please understand that you are being steered in the wrong direction. Yogurt is, in fact, one of the healthiest foods which can be consumed while you are pregnant. It contains many nutrients which are highly essential for the growth of your baby. Some of the proven benefits of yogurt are listed below.
Benefits of Yogurt
- Gives Bone Strength – Did you know that calcium is one of the major nutrients found in yogurt? When a person consumes yogurt during pregnancy, it not only benefits her but also the baby. The fetus uses this calcium to grow and build strong bones. You can also say that intake of yogurt assures stronger bones for both the mother and her baby.
- Improves Dental Health – You might have come across a lot of people who suffer from various dental problems. Consuming yogurt will help you to give your baby a better dental health.
- Reduces Inflammatory Problems – A number of pregnant women suffer from various inflammatory problems during pregnancy. Yogurt contains probiotics which help in reducing this problem to a certain extent.
- Reduces the risk of Gestational Diabetes – Gestation diabetes which is very common nowadays can be reduced with the intake of yogurt. The probiotics found in this dairy product decreases the insulin resistance during pregnancy.
- Helps to Improve Digestion – A lot of women suffer from constipation and other digestive disorders during pregnancy. Intake of yogurt helps to improve the digestive tract and also increases the absorption of nutrients from the foods consumed. This will help to keep the fetus and the mother perfectly healthy.
- Reduce Acidity and Heartburn – This problem is specifically seen in women who have cravings for spicy food items. If you have similar cravings you should definitely consume yogurt at least once in a day. This will help to cool your body and reduce the possibility of acidity and heartburn.
Also read: Can I eat ice cream during pregnancy?
Though yogurt is said to be good for pregnant women, you should avoid the consumption of full-fat yogurt. Excessive consumption of saturated fat leads to many problems such as weight gain, cardiovascular disorders, and so on. Hence, always try to consume low-fat yogurt which will provide you with all the aforementioned benefits. No matter what you hear from others, never eliminate yogurt completely from your diet during your pregnancy.