One of the biggest problem faced by pregnant women is constipation. Almost 3 out of 4 pregnant women experience constipation at some point of their pregnancy. It starts as early as 2nd month and gets worse as you move along your pregnancy. Sometimes it can get so worse that it can result in hemorrhoids. The culprit behind it is the progesterone hormone. Your progesterone increases during pregnancy which causes the bowel muscles to relax and it results in slower digestion of the food.
But don’t you worry, here we are sharing the 6 time tested and proven remedies to get relief from constipation during pregnancy.
1. Eat More Fiber: Fiber rich diet helps to prevent constipation. Apart from the list below, you can also add raspberries, apples, bananas, figs, strawberries, sweet corns, sprouts and carrots to your diet.
2. Try Prunes: Talking about fiber, prunes are a great source of it. In fact, they have been used for centuries to treat constipation. If you are constipated, do give prunes or prune juice a try.
3. Drink more water: You may have been already advised to drink more water during pregnancy. Apart from countless other benefits of drinking more water, it also helps in keeping your GI tract smooth, thus preventing constipation.
4. Try warm drinks: Warm beverages helps to stimulate peristalsis (the intestinal contractions that help you go). Squeeze a lemon into a glass of water and drink that early in the morning. It will also help you with nausea.
5. Keep moving: Keeping your body active druing pregnancy helps stimulate your bowels. You should aim to exercise 3 times a week for a session of 20 to 30 mintues each. It could be anything; jogging, walking, swimming or yoga. Do consult with your doctor beforehand about which exercise is safe for you as each pregnancy is different.
6. Change your prenatal vitamins: This may come as a surprise but the all beneficial iron-laden prenatal vitamin may be the culprit behind your constipation. Talk with your provider whether you can use any alternate prenatal (one with slow-release iron) or reduce the dosage till the situation improves.
So, these are some of the tips which have helped the pregnant women to get relief from constipation. There are also some medications available such as stool softeners but don’t take anything without consulting your doctor first.
Do share this post with someone who might find it useful.