Insomnia is a common type of illness that is commonly seen in pregnant woman. Chronic form of insomnia results in depression in expectant mothers. If you are suffering from this issue, then your doctor can recommend you a prescription-based sleep medicine. As pregnancy is a critical time, you can’t take anything lightly.
It is important to ask a doctor, and weigh the advantages, and risks and determine how frequently it is safe to take it. In this article, we will tell you about the safe sleeping pills in the market if choose the route of medicines.
What factors impact your sleep?
There are several factors that are responsible to negatively affect sleeping patterns in pregnant women. It is easy to eliminate these factors when caught in the initial days of inception. Some of the major factors are:
- Alcohol usage
- Congested feelings
- Uncomfortable position
- Uncomfortable mattress
- Frequent trips to loo, if you consume a lot of water before going to sleep
- Uncomfortable nightwear
Different types of Sleeping Pills
Nearly, you should avoid sleeping pills that are provided over-the-counter. A few of these pills can hurt the baby developing inside your body. However, there are a few sleeping medicines, dietary supplements, and herbs, that are safe to be used in pregnancy. Before you consume them, it is required that you get approval from your doctor. Commonly available sleeping pills that are available in the store:
Choose the right sleeping medicine out of the above options, requires consultation from the doctor.
How safe is it to take Sleeping Pills in Pregnancy?
Sleeping pills aren’t advised for longer term for anyone. But if you are pregnant and suffering from sleep disorder, then diphenhydramine, doxylamine, and antihistamines, are safe. These drugs induce sleep, and do not cause any serious impact on the user.
It is advised not to take prescription sleeping pills in last trimester of your pregnancy as it can cause risks to the babies. Changes in muscle tone, and breathing issues have been reported in babies who were exposed to sleeping pills while they were in the womb.
It is important that pregnant woman should be aware that consuming more than the prescribed dose of sleep medicines can cause impair the development of baby. High dosage of diphenhydramine leads to uterine contractions. It can cause placental abruption, and rupture in the uterine rupture.
Which are the dangerous sleeping pills in the market?
Pregnancy and sleeping pills generally don’t go well hand in hand. Due to this reason, there are very rare possibilities when doctors recommended these pills.
Barbiturates, and benzodiazepines are the two most risky sleeping pills that aren’t recommended. They are seen to cause birth defects in pregnant women.
Home remedies to ensure better sleep
To a considerable extent, it is required that you should prefer home remedies over sleeping medicines to get better sleep. The health benefits that you get will positively impact both of you.
- Ensure your bedroom is spacious, and properly ventilated. Don’t use the air conditioners for a longer period of time.
- Use electric fans to ensure the room is airy. This is because fetus develop at a fast rate in fresh air.
- The clothes you wear, also affects your quality of sleep. So, make sure you wear comfortable nightwear. Choose the ones that are made from cotton so that the fabric absorbs good amount of sweat and keep you airy. Wearing tight clothes during the night can disturb your sleep pattern, and can eventually lead to insomnia.
- Take a warm bath before you sleep. It will loosen up all your muscles, and relax the body. A warm bath helps in reducing stress and make a positive psychological impact.
- Not just pregnancy, alcohol can harm your overall health. You should completely avoid it. It keeps your nervous system stimulated and excited. This prevents you from getting a sound sleep.
- Drink warm milk before sleep as it is seen to induce sleep in people. These nutrients are beneficial for you as well the baby.
- Anxiety is very common in pregnancy that can alter your sleep patterns. Perform stress relieving exercises such as meditation, and slow, and controlled breathing exercises to keep yourself mentally balanced.
- Take a gentle massage to relieves the muscle stress, and relax yourself. In this way, it promotes sleep.
Insomnia is common in pregnancy. If this situation continues for a longer term, then it can lead to mental instability. There are several methods available using which you can reverse its adverse effects and ensure a healthy pregnancy. However, if you find sleeping pills inevitable, then you must take it under the instructions of doctor.